I like to identify with people. For they are life.
When I originally drafted my 4 stages of leadership in 2012 I was working at a Drug Rehabilitation Center in Upper New York in my Human Resources Operational role.
Those 12 months changed my life.
That’s where I found real leadership change. Not from the obvious sources. Not from books but from seeing human souls change, and that’s a wonderful and ever lasting experience.
It came from those who needed to change, for them there was no where else to go, for them to change who they were, what they had becomes was the only way for a future.
Leadership comes from within but it is more than that it comes because somewhere along the way often there are people who can help you “see the new path”. The strength in you is to embrace it.
Internal fortitude is realized and sustained when there is an awakening of the soul that we all need help in our lives.
And the quality of the life we create is about the relationships we build the memories we make, the laughter the tears and hugs and the friendships.
For many who follow the “12 steps” there has to be a burning desire to become someone else, a better self. I found that the 12 steps are a source of thoughtful reading that we could all do well to read.
After all we are all in need of some “rehabilitation”.
I found that the road to recovery questions the very essence, the very being of a human soul.
I also found and admired the counsellors who became mentors and the support system and the role that they took in changing lives.
I found the path to REAL LEADERSHIP is no different for any of us.
I dedicate this posting to all the souls who have travelled down the path of recovery and come out the other side for they learned that leadership comes from within but much more they are the leaders who change the world.
This is also a thoughtful reminder to those who I had the pleasure and privilege to work with in Saranac Lake, NY. For you truly change lives and change the world! You do blessed work.
HRMexplorer – 2016
When leaders produce positive energy: They create rainbows, sunshine and an environment where golden innovative ideas and effective and lasting relationships are born and nurtured.
- Leaders create a symphony for followers to each play a role that matters.
- Leaders give blessings and know that positive recognition is fundamental to the soul.
- Leaders understand and ask how can I serve you to help develop the best version of you.
- Leaders understand they do not do it for themselves.
- Leaders understand that their role is to teach, coach words that turn words into enabling powerful thoughts and actions.
- Leaders create an inspirational powerful story that ignites imagination.
Leaders understand that they are powerful storytellers that change the world and that their voice is only one!
Hrmexplorer January 2016
Picture courtesy of The storytellers manifesto by Jeanette LeBlanc
Many conversations start with a question!
How are you? How have you been? What have you been up to? And so on.
How did you feel when you were asked the questions? Did you feel like Oh Jeeze no!
We have all been there particularly when things have not been going so well. We have all had those moments…some moments lasting longer than others..
How do those moments change us? Have we become more than one person?
Different with different people…
I come across many people who tell me they are different people when they are at home than when they are at work.
Its not surprising to hear this I hear you say. Many of us show up differently given different circumstances.
The problem is who are we really?
The Questions of Faith and Fear
How do we show up each day?
What do we want to show and importantly what do we want to hide?
What do we want people to think of us?
What are we afraid of if we really show who we are?
Scorecards are life cards!
The thing is from the moment we were born we had a scorecard…how heavy, how long. What color eyes…… and so on.
It continued through infancy through to schools and sports, what were we good at what did we suck at!!
Remember first impressions and lasting impressions?
Life is a scorecard and yet when we get to work we are often different, we give lesser of ourselves and to our co-workers in many cases much less and yet…..
Work and Life
Productivity -Be the best you can be
Attendance -Be punctual when meeting friends
Quality -Be present and attentive
Safety -Do no harm to others – build relationships
Discipline -Fairness and honesty – Always
You see the thing is that each defines you and they cannot be separated:
Are all ONE and the only thing you have to decide is whether faith of fear separates the REAL you from showing up.
HRMexplorer November 1st 2014
Picture courtesy of
Part of The 4 stages of leadership – see my link http://wp.me/pTp83-lN
This blog is about the 6 phases of relationships and follows under Personal Reflection in my 4 stages of leadership model.
Phase 1 – Relationship with me! – Realization.
- What kind of relationship do I want to have with myself?
- Do I like who I am?
- Am I positive or negative in what I see or do?
- Do I even like ME and is this who I always want to be?
- Am I stuck in my own emotions and do I want to change?
- Do I know what I want from myself?
- Is the present person I am harming others?
Develop the vision of who you want to be.
Phase 2 – Relationships with my community – my Mask.
- Do people feel positively or negatively towards me?
- What do they see in my actions and behaviors?
- Does a different part of me come out when I am in my community of family, friends, coworkers and community?
- Do I even let them into my world or do I keep them out?
- Do they believe or trust me?
- Do I even trust myself?
- Do they want to be with me? – Do I want to be with me?
- Start to seek out others to define existing and future reality of who I need and want to be. Indeed is there a positive future if I do not seek help from others?
Develop oneness – get rid of different masks– look for support.
Phase 3 – Attraction – develop the person you like and need to become.
- Give yourself permission that it’s possible to be different.
- Release the chains that hold you in the past and move to the community that will help you move to your vision.
- Find the communities you need to be part off and seek help and develop new relationships that are trusting and supportive.
- Develop faith over fear for the change that is needed and yet to come.
Change is not the option the only option is whether you have the courage to choose it.
Phase 4 – Lets Hang out – Staying with your new community.
- Continue to develop the “likeability” and goodness factor.
- Hang out with people who engage and promote the person you have always wanted to become (and needed to become.)
- Be with people who support and reinforce who you are becoming.
- Start to behave not how others expect you but how you need to develop the new you.
Define your character based, not on what others expect you too, but in the knowledge that you are accountable for your own actions.
Phase 5 – Developing Awesomeness.
- Continue to develop and sustain your character through higher levels of trusting relationships.
- Remember that by becoming awesome you develop an ever-increasing community that sustains lifelong relationships.
- Reestablish relationships with those love ones that were harmed
- Know that by becoming awesome your actions will start to serve others and not yourself.
The first stage of servant leadership.
Phase 6 – SuperAwsome.
- Become a champion of memorable relationships.
- Share your experiences with others so that they can also be inspired.
The path to developing leadership in others.