It is simply wrong! I remember when I worked in a hospital, nurses getting into trouble because of they way they treated patients.
They were and are good nurses; the problem was that their standard of service is not what the patient WANTED.
When I sat down and reviewed the scenarios it was clear that this old and well-used rule simply does not work if it ever really did.
The golden rule means that you don’t even have to ask the other person how they want to be treated. You assume they are like you and that we know is not true.
Break the golden rule and throw it away. We have to treat people like THEY want to be treated.
The biggest difference?
The golden rule means we don’t even have to ask the other person! When we develop relationships and customer service we find out that it is in the asking that people really feel special.
picture courtesy of amandro.com
I am here to tell you its plain WRONG!
Here is why!
1. How dare you treat me like you want to be treated. You don’t KNOW ME that well.
2. I am an INDIVIDUAL in my own right and I like different things.
3. What turns you on may not turn me on and that DISENGAGES ME!
4. When you follow the golden rule it means you don’t even have to ASK me.
5. It’s the worst message on customer service. You ASSUME what I like and give me something I don’t want AND YOU THINK YOU DID A GREAT JOB.
6. When you stop thinking about what the OTHER person wants your customer service will never improve and NEITHER WILL YOUR BUSINESS.
7. Keep following the golden rule enough times I WILL TAKE MY BUSINESS AWAY.
I could go on but you get the picture. So why do we continue to follow the Golden Rule like Lemmings?
Treat me like I want to be treated ASK ME! That way you have a great chance of keeping me as a customer.
So go on, break the Golden Rule you will have some fascinating conversations and you will be amazed at what you learn.