Customer service begins inside you and long before you see one!
We have all experienced great and not so great service.
Many of us have been told when we go about our new job we don’t know enough about what customers needs are until we learn a little more about the business!
We all know that this is plain “WRONG”.
We are all customers, have been since the day we were born! And it does not take service recovery or lots of customer service training (although it does have a place) to “feel” what the customer needs.
I wonder how much more we spend in recovering from customer dissatisfaction then we do getting it right first time?
Some time ago I wrote a blog https://hrmexplorer.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/break-the-golden-rule-for-success/ that we all needed to forget the golden rule! It was a great idea at the time, like all great ideas along comes better ones! So lets take the labels off.
Customers are people!
Lets focus on
- Treating people with respect for what they want, not what we think they want!
- Find out by asking them what they really need.
- Anticipate what would make them “happy” yes I said the HAPPY word! (The very best experience that the customer could have dreamed.)
- Understand that you are part of their team! Not telling, selling and closing and sayonara!
- Developing a lasting relationship – their stories will go on for years- so lets make them memorial in a good way.
- Stop SELLING and start GIVING the best experience that customers should expect.
Get rid of customer service centers- whoa!! I mean why are we using them? Well we know the answer to that. How often is the customer more upset after a conversation with a center?
Give me a company that delvers and values “customer insight” and you have company that has a winning formula and the likelihood of return business will be phenomenal. Why is that so hard?
I am interested to hear your thoughts. After all you are my customers.