This salmon isn’t spawning this year!!
A great friend of mine Katherine Moody http://hiddenjobmarketsecrets.com/ and I have been talking for while.
We both love to work with folks helping them get a job and we find that it’s hard for them because many of the organizations are not looking for salmons!
But the point is we help prepare people to get the jobs where their gifts will be not only valued but where their real difference will make a real difference to the results of their company!
It is not any job at any cost!
Ok here is my point. A salmon is a wondrous fish and every year they go to a place of their choice to spawn. It knows who it is and what it wants!
A Salmon is pretty careful and selective it simply does not lay its “next generation” just anywhere!
So what’s the comparison? The message is do not give your “young” to any business!
- Be who you are and know you have the right to decide what company you are going to give your valuable gifts of experience and knowledge and time.
- Many organizations still do not get the need for hiring “linchpins” – Seth Gordin. http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/books.asp Know that you are such and they will recognize that in you. It is their poor choice if they do not want such a valuable hire.
- Be choosey about the environment you want to spend time with. Do you want to be an artist, a creator of something that can be better or someone who simply lives in a box of conformance?
- Perhaps having a job at any cost is just so compelling because of the “need to fit and conform handcuffs” placed on job seekers today. Little wonder why there is so much disengagement in our workforces today.
- Like Salmon who go to a “safe” environment to lay their eggs. Your safe environment has to be one where it is safe for you to be who you are –an incredibly exciting and individual human being who encourages “wild ideas and creativity” that takes people and the business to incredibly exciting and newer heights. Someone who has passion in your heart, a flame to succeed, and a desire to be the best you can ever be.
- Like salmon whose instinct is to swim upstream to a shallow place with gravel and rocks, you need to keep your natural instinct to know who you are and keep on your course and know where you will be most happy (yes happy) where you work.
- You see salmon are pretty clever they know where the best environment is for their future young un’s a place where they will have the environment to develop and grow and move to their own new world.
So we all have choices and we all need to have the courage to know where we want to be and it is not simply fit for purpose its fit for you!
The habits of a Salmon