It’s NOT about Customer Service it’s about “Customer Servantship”.
So here are my thoughts!
- I asked, “What is customer service?” of a number of folks and guess what? They all said something different.
- We also had lots of conversation about who is a customer! Well the news is everybody is your customer!
- It seemed they were all talking about outcomes and worse were quoting from company scripts!
- Customer Service has become an “Industry” and includes anything from big job titles to huge departments in organizations.
- Yes! they have whole departments for this stuff. What happened to “Get it right first time? “
- The people you speak to work off scripts and often have no authority to go outside set boundaries and then start espousing company rules. That’s Blah!
- It’s not about “customer service recovery”. That’s too late!
- It’s not about gimmicky slogans like “Customer is King” or “Customer First” or “Make sure your customer has a great day” – overused and who are these signs to remind? – You got it! Just words that flow unconsciously and easily out of too many sales assistants and now passé’.
- So it’s not about “clever words” or processes.
This is what it’s about!
- Breathe into the hearts and minds the philosophy of “serving”.
- Use the qualities of servant leadership.
- In order to be a “customer” servant leader, you need the following qualities: listening, empathy, healing, awareness, persuasion, conceptualization, foresight, stewardship, growth and building a community. (*)
- Acquiring these qualities tend to give a person authority versus power. Now that’s what I am talking about! How would you FEEL if you had that kind of attention given to you…GOOSEBUMPS.
- The difference is simple: The customers’ highest priority needs are being served, and they are given the “whole experience”
- A great test is: Do those served grow as persons? Do they, while being served, become healthier, wiser, freer, more autonomous, more likely themselves to become servants?
- This it seems is the ultimate! The likelihood of your customers recommending your business to everyone they know! That’s the community!
- So its about the human touch and soul and mind coming together.
- None of us need “gimmicks” to help us serve our loved ones, so put this into place with your customers and note the difference.
- It is about putting the “servantship” of customers above all else and thinking of the customer all the time and they are first.
- It’s a total mindset and philosophy about “serving” not giving service and there is a huge difference in this.
(*)(From the teachings of Robert K. Greenleaf)
The foundational concepts are found in Greenleaf’s first three major essays, The Servant as Leader, The Institution as Servant, and Trustees as Servants.