Leaders don’t need job descriptions- Lets get down to Business!
Too much!! Get real do you want to make a difference or keep your job!!
Fire those guys who don’t. We do not want or need them!
In today’s world we simply don’t need those folks around us. Work life and business is hard enough. Dislocated people need to get off the bus now! We want energy!!How much time is wasted in creating, changing, aligning and then doing performance reviews against the words of job descriptions which in any event are part of the old business world of command and control!
They are out of date folks, business has moved on a long way since then. Who does not get that one?
Anyway for those who still wish to cling to job descriptions, they are out of date as soon as you write them. Do we not realize that business changes every day!
Lets get with it!! Gen Y, Millenniums and Gen Z need to be inspired not put to sleep reading crafted words, which “do not compute” and are from a distant era. Heck we all want to be inspired says this Gen X’er.
So lets stop the stifling and start the energy of creativity and excitement!
Highly engaged people don’t need to be restricted they need to be refreshed and refueled!
What purpose do job descriptions serve? The get out of jail card? The protection against the disinterested the dislocated employee?? Well that’s ripe.
Anyway most managers don’t use them effectively because. You know those answers!
So I hear you say we need to know the essential duties of the job!!! – That’s simple “Get the job done within your abilities! – Safely, legally and respectfully!! How can I help?”
I don’t hear much discussion when we speak about the success of our leadership, I certainly don’t see a rush for a job description to find out whether our leaders have been successful.
So what do we need for a successful business and the ability to attract people who want to work for us?
- Relevancy and currency in what we do and how we practice our business.
- Produce Mission statements for people roles – which clearly identify – context and accountability. – Your purpose here is to seek opportunities to improve…
- Promote self-managed teams who get the job done – people have brains and they want to use it- and by the way this method works! There are very businesses where people work alone.
- Make it a core recruitment requirement that the purpose of any new recruit is to come to work to build a business and as key contributors– we want their energy, hearts and minds, brain and personality, relationship skills and the “can do” mindset. Otherwise no bus rides for them!
- Figure out and fast how to get the dislocated of the bus and sort out crappy recruitment practices that let the wrong employees on the bus
- Define the opportunities not the constraints’ of what we want from people and what we expect of them. Then let them figure it out!
- Get rid of bureaucracy – fastest way to dislocate people from what they do
As leaders lets develop the talent that develops the business
Focus on the mission of the job role and let the people and the team figure out what needs to be done with freedom, energy, connectivity and passion
As Leaders our job is to define the vision and mission and then
Create the environment that people can succeed
Communicate the real issues
Connect with everyone within the organization
Collaborate to inspire inclusion
Coach to develop yourself and others
Do all these things and let’s see how much we really need all that paperwork Lets talk about competency and free people from the boxes and the chains of job descriptions.
(Pic- Anton Tang)